Before reading this issue I already had opinion on this subject. After reading this, I feel some people should reconsider the aim of this argument. In the sentence before I misspelled argument, and I was corrected by a tool called spell checker. On my laptop, which is also a tool. Computers are now almost required for all of my work and constructive behavior towards school. I do not agree with the position of computers negatively affecting student growth, as they are used as tools and are good for growth. Computers are a tool best used to support learning. I do though agree that human touch is needed, but computers should not and I doubt ever phase out a human teacher. There will be a person at least programming something on the computer, as computers don't do things on their own. I believe that computers when used as a tool reinforce certain aspects of learning that you might not be able to do all the time. For starters, having a spell checker is like having a teacher helping you all the time. You can easily turn it off, and by doing this would remove the "unfair" use of any word processor, and create a challenge. Yet, when you are learning to write, using a computer's word processor is a great way to learn how to write and structure your work. An example would be if you are writing in a red pen, and the teacher does not like this, you cant change it on paper, you would have to rewrite all of it. With a computer you could easily change a color. Although you lose valid penmanship, the fact that the modern world almost requires you to know computers and how to use them efficiently is a reason good enough to allow them as assistance. When Lowell Monk describes the human touch, humans are inherently flawed. As a teacher my not be able to teach everyone the same way, or even reach them in a way that they may learn. When he uses "The Oregon Trail" as an example, its a tool, you gain knowledge historically and data wise. Being able to navigate menus and do data input is a lot like Microsoft Excel, in where wrong numbers don't work. Bashing a random, old, poorly made simulation game is like bashing medical science in the dark ages. As knowledge and technology increases, tools we use will also benefit. We don't use decapitation for headaches anymore... Same for machines. When he brings up the archaic machines of the 80's and 90's, those were baseline machines that led to what we have today. Technology increases over time, like teaching styles. As more tools become available, I do not see why they shouldn't be capitalized. I personally feel this is a flawed argument because computers are tools and are only as good as the user. You must teach a person how to use a computer, like any other tool. You cannot expect someone to cut down a tree with an axe without at least knowing how to use the axe. Whom is going to teach the person how to use the axe? A person. So, its an infinite loop of needing humans to learn about and create the tools. This truly is silly.
Sincerely,
Bryan Molyneux
No comments:
Post a Comment